Collard Greens with Bacon and Tomato
Good old southern style cookin, full of flavor. A great way to eat your collard greens!
Author: Samantha B. Johnson
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 large tomato
- 4 strips bacon
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese- grated
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy.
- Remove bacon from skillet chop it up into small pieces and set aside.
- Keep bacon grease and use it to sauté tomatoes until softened 3-5 min
- Add sliced collard greens
- Stir collard greens into tomato grease. I find it easiest to scoop tomatoes from bottom and keep putting them on top to wet the greens. Keep stirring until greens get completely coated in oils begin to soften and turn a dark green color
- Add salt, spices, lemon juice and honey and stir in well
- Turn off skillet pour off excess juices if necessary and stir in chopped bacon
- Serve with grated parmesan on top (optional)