Homemade Bone Broth
Author: Samantha B. Johnson
- Leftover vegetable tops and cuttings- I keep all my carrot tops cabbage cores, lemon peels really any vegetable leftovers and store in the freezer for making broth.
- Beef bones (center cut femur)
- 2 carrots
- ½ cabbage
- 3 tbsp garlic oil
- 3 leaves kale
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- water- enough to cover all ingredients
- 1 tsp salt
- Put all ingredients in crockpot and set on low heat. Leave overnight or for 6-8 hrs. Strain veggies and bones. If you don't like the fat then if you let the broth cool in the fridge the fat will settle out on the top and you can skim it off. Toss or save and use for cooking on your skillet.
- The marrow in the center of the bones will make for a jello-type consistency when broth has cooled but when you heat it up, it will become liquid again.
- Broth will keep in the fridge for a couple of days but will keep in the freezer for a few months.